Monday, May 25, 2015

I got hugged by another grandpa HAHA

HI EVERYONE oh and happy memorial day!

Something super crazy exciting happened this week!!!! WE GOT TIWIS. If you are wondering what the heck a tiwi is, I wondered the same thing. We had a zone conference this week and they installed a tiwi (or teenage something something something) in all of the mission cars. A tiwi is a device that monitors your speed, whether or not you are wearing seatbelts, and aggressive driving. Luckily for me, the mission has already made me drive like a grandma (no offense to all you grandmas out there) so it hasn't really been a problem haha.  The box tells you to check your speed, to put on your seat belt or to drive safer and the crazy thing is that the box records all the information and it goes to president ware and our vehicle coordinator so if we have a certain amount of violations they will put us on driving suspension or take away driving privileges for extreme cases. It is super exciting (i'm not being sarcastic haha it really is an adventure). 

We have been trying a lot of new ways to find people this week. We did something that we named garbage tracting, it may already have a name haha, but we put on gloves and each carried a big black garbage bag and headed to a huge trailer park (mini mexico) to pick up trash! We filled up one of those huge bags on only 2 rows of trailers. It was so fun. Part of our idea of doing this was in hopes that people would see us serving and ask questions or that we would soften their hearts a bit before we knock their doors :) We had a cool experience because a lady came out of her house and asked us what we were doing and we said oh just cleaning up your neighborhood, and she said Why? .... exactly what we wanted her to say! Then we were able to tell her that we love doing service because we are missionaries etc etc.. She went and grabbed us waterbottles and hugged us and told us thanks. It was so sweet. I love serving people. We also had some members come with us to chalk the plan of salvation on one of the main roads in our area. 

So this week I will be honest has been one of the harder weeks for me. I have just felt a lot of pressure and stress from training, trying to start a new branch, we got dropped by a few investigators, and the other ones we had to drop because they weren't keeping commitments, you know just the usual stresses of being a missionary. And you know me, if I am stressed or whatever I just deal with it and figure it out but for some reason this week was different. On friday we had planned to do a group church tour with the other missionaries in our ward and we invited a ton of people and so did they, but no one showed up.  Before we left the church I felt prompted to ask one of the elders to give me a blessing. I wasn't really sure why, and my companion was super confused when I asked haha but I felt like I needed one. So we went into the chapel and I got a blessing. I wish all of you could have been there to experience the spirit in the room during that blessing. It was one of the most spirit filled powerful moments that I have had on my mission. I was blessed that my burdens would be made light and I knew more than anything that He was talking through Heavenly Father because he said things that I had been earnestly praying about for the past couple of weeks.  I literally felt a weight lifted off my shoulders and a direct connection with heaven. My testimony of priesthood blessings was strengthened this week. I am so grateful for worthy priesthood holders and their strength and power. I am still stressed haha but I was reassured that I am not the only one that has gone through what I am going through. I know that Jesus Christ has been in my shoes. He knows me perfectly and is willing to help and strengthen me as I rely on Him.

We did a lot of less active work this week! We have been working with Jessica a less active from el salvador. She is incredible. She came to church and we are excited to bring her with us to some lessons this week :) Also we helped the hernandez family clean their house. WOW. They had an entire room full of dirty clothes, not an exaggeration. We helped them bring all of the clothes to the laundry mat and we filled 5 of the 4 loader washers full of clothes!! It was quite the project. Then we helped fold and put away the clothes. I was so grateful to be able to serve them, especially because the dad isn't a member and I really felt that we softened his heart as we served them. They may be moving in the next couple of weeks, but veronica is having her baby at the end of november and told me that when I finish my mission I can come back up here and help her with the baby!!

We had some really cool lessons this week with new people that we are teaching and I am grateful for the chance I have to be here. I love being a missionary. I love the trials that have helped me to grow. I AM SO BLESSED. I love you all so much thank you for everything!!!

con mucho amor
hermana wortley


this is the only picture I have from this week hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment